Thursday, June 11, 2009

Mean Kittens



Left to right: Willie, Eto'o, and Yoda

So, when I decided that I would babysit 3 wild kittens with the goal of making them tame, I confess I really didn't have any idea of what I was getting myself into. I was thinking that they might adapt pretty quickly to me giving them food, recognize that I wasn't dangerous, let me pet them a little, and my job would be done.

What I didn't count on was the power of motherly anti-human propoganda, lack of human contact in their early moments of life, and well...fear.

I'm used to Aslan, who likes to cuddle and crawl under my covers for a nap. He even falls asleep in matching positions with Donald.



So, the experiment was not a great success. After a month of chasing them around trying to get them to come inside I was left with 2 1/2 wild kittens. We ended up giving away the two wildest to Donald's sister-in-law and I kept the least mean for further observation because there was hope. I thought you might want to meet them.


Eto'o (meanest)




Yoda (right I know, the ears. So cute but not happy with humans)




Ballena = Whale (Willie) He's the keeper...for now...


The good news is that Aslan had someone to play with although I was never quite sure is he was giving them a warm embrace or trying to suffocate them...I think it might be the end of my kitten raising career.

No comments: