Saturday, March 6, 2010

Play-by-play


The moment you have all been waiting for.

Ramirez-Stanaway productions proudly presents the engagement play-by-play that took the breath away of your favorite leading lady....

Valentine's Day Eve 2010. Dinnertime. The best and maybe only good Indian Restaurant south of the border. Empty restaurant. Two nervous lovebirds nervously choke down their spicy lamb curry and cashew chicken. Tension is in the air.

So, let's just say I was suspicious. I know there are a lot of guys that do their very best to give their girls a heart attack with surprising proposals. Other guys are not admired for their subtlety and we love them for it. This belonged to the second group.


The week before, there were lots of ring questions. Not your typical walk-through-the-mall-and-tell-me-what-you-like kind of questions, but more like "ok, so you like white gold, right?". There was also the ring-trying-on for finger size and little clues like "I am planning a REALLY good Valentine's day present for you..."

So, let's just say...I was hoping. Right before dinner, Donal said something to the effect of "I'm going to go buy you a ring, I'll be right back..." and my hopes were confirmed.

Then there was the excruciating wait through dinner. We got to the restaurant and sat down, ordered food, and tried to distract ourselves until present-opening time. We took away some of the tension by taking some really ugly pictures with funny faces that I have been forbidden to publish.

Then, it was finally time to open presents. I received a little gift bag with Snoopy on it ( Who doesn't love Snoopy?) and inside was a gold box. Inside the gold box was a little ring-shaped box. Donal took the ring box out for me and opened it. Dum Dum Dum


He said "Tu eres la cosa mas bonita que me haya pasado en la vida y si algun dia tenemos que estar aparte, quiero que sea por que Dios haya llevado a uno de nosotros al cielo." Which means: You are the most beautiful thing that has ever happened to me in my whole life and if someday we have to be separated, I want it to be because God has taken one of us up to heaven.

I know, right? I am pretty sure after that (kind of a blur) there was a yes and some kisses involved. AH!

After some resizing for large American fingers, I had my beautiful ring on my finger and I was ENGAGED!

Two years ago when everyone insisted I would marry a Guatemalan I thought they were crazy! Who would have thought?

So, we don't know where, when, or how, but Donal and I love each other and we are GETTING MARRIED!

2 comments:

Lee said...

Dear Andrea, My name is Lee and please first allow me to send my ¡Felicitaciones cordiales! to you and your Fiancee. How excited you all must be! To introduce myself I'm the Mom of Clifford who is almost finished with his training. He's been living in Parramos but he just found out today that he'll be in Cabrican practically in your backyard! He too is in the Healthy Schools program and will be in group 2. His partner's name is Grace. They will be in Quetzaltenango on Monday for their week of site visiting. He said it was like another FBT week. Anyway, whenever I get more info. from him I always look up to find whatever I can and your blog came up! I follow a number of other Volunteers' blogs and now that your staying an extra year (Congratulations on that good news too) I can see what life is like for you too. Clifford has had only 3 brief chances to get online since his local Internet cafe closes so soon after his classes let out and he needs to get home before dark. So we've only been able to hear about his stories when I call him. Hopefully when he gets settled all that will change. I look forward to reading your old blogs and your new ones too. Take care. Lee
P.S. My parents were married on St. Valentine's Day. I never did hear about how they became in engaged but surely no one could have spoken more sweetly and romantically than what Donald(?) said to you. My heart just went all squiddshy.

Lee said...

esAndrea how nice to have met you! I said that Clifford would practically be in your backyard but instead he's in your house! This is sooo cool! I know now having spoken with you and Grace that he'll be just fine. Thank you so much for having him stay with you this week and for extending your service. Knowing that you'll only be an hour away and that you know all he needs to know is such a wonderful feeling. Have a great week and tell everyone I said Hey!
Your new Volunteer's Mom, Lee